Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Monday, February 11, 2013

2600 pts O&G vs All-Comers

This past weekend I went into town for some gaming. With the new ETC restrictions set to be used in a few upcoming tournaments, I wanted to try out a potential tournament list. This is what I brought:

Orc Warboss
Sword of Anti Heroes, Armor of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, The Other Trickster's Shard

Savage Orc Great Shaman, level 4
Fencer's Blade, Lucky Shrunken Head

Black Orc Big Boss, BSB
Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation

Night Goblin Shaman, level 2
Dispel Scroll

Quite a standard character setup for me, with the exception maybe of the Warboss. I usually don't enjoy bringing a Warboss on foot for the leadership alone, so I'm thinking about using him as a character killer and breaking Deathstar units, with the Sword of Anti Heroes for a (potentially) insane amount of high strength attacks.



26 Savage Orc Big 'Uns
Standard Bearer, Musician, Additional Handweapons

49 Night Goblins
Nets, Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields

10 Orc Arrer Boyz
Standard Bearer, Musician

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Shields, Shortbows, Spears

The core consist of my usual subjects too, aside from the Arrer Boyz. Usually I prefer to run a unit of 20 Night Goblins with bows for the same purpose, but I'd like to see how Orcs can perform in that role. Arrer Boyz can shoot my enemy from turn 1 thanks to their regular bows and can actually go into combat against chaff and kill them (something Night Goblins cannot). On the other hand, the combination of 20 bowgobbos with a spell of poison is extremely useful, but with only two goblin spells that combo is a lot more difficult to pull off.



1x3 Goblin Wolf Chariots

24 Black Orcs
Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame

8 Trolls

Five deployment in special is decent for an O&G army, but nothing spectacular. I prefer to bring three big combat units to the battle and the Trolls are usually a given when bringing a Warboss' Inspiring Presence. Also, in the current meta game of plenty of high-armored monstrous cavalry, the combination of Trolls and Black Orcs make up two solid flanks that Bloodcrushers, Mournfangs and Demigryphons will be hesitant to engage. Also, Black Orcs will benefit from deploying close to the Savage Orcs and their Great Shaman for the 'Ere We Go spell, and will usually be joined by the Warboss for additional punch and can be deployed tight or wide depending on the enemy.



Goblin Spear Chukka

Goblin Rock Lobber

Goblin Doom Diver

Mangler Squig

Giant
Warpaint

Lots of people tend to bring three double rare choices with artillery and Manglers, but I find that to be too many points for not enough benefit. I want to fight early and only want my artillery to deal with things that I'd struggle with otherwise. I'd much rather bring a Giant, even though most O&G that I talk to feel that it's a terrible choice. In my opinion though, he's grossly underrated and usually overlooked by my enemies. Yes, T6 would have been amazing to get, but he's still our most efficient flank charger, capable of inflicting a tremendous amount of damage. His Stubborn LD10 also allows you to sacrifice him as a road block (that will survive for two rounds) that can set up a flank charge for your boyz. Also, the synergy between him and Netgobbos can be extremely efficient, and a combination that has helped me defeat plenty of dangerous foes.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions? Let me know in the comments.