Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Army List Review: O&G 3000 points, first part

BJ over at The Winds of Magic writes:
Well I have been messing with ideas for army lists for 8th Edition Fantasy Battles for a few days now. I have messed with Dwarfs and my Tomb Kings, but my first complete list that I was happy with is my Orcs and Goblins led by no other than Grimgor Ironhide, my favorite Orc special character.

I did a 3000 point list as I have no idea what the new standard is going to be. I am guessing it will probably range from 2500 - 3500 so I am going to build my lists in those ranges till I see what pans out in my area

He's asking for opinions on his list - a topic I love discussing - so I thought it'd be fun to go through it and offer my opinions on his setups. I'll do this in turns, starting out with a look at his character choices.

Obviously, not all of us write lists with tournament play in mind, favoring things like theme and what's cool to field, so I will try to keep that in mind and only offer advice and reflections rather than just cold, dry facts of effectiveness.

LORDS:

Grimgor Ironhide - 375 Pts.

I don't have much experience fielding Special Characters, but from where I'm sitting Grimgor is definitely one of the coolest ones around. The problem for him is usually not winning combats (as he is a beast in battle) but to actually get into combat. Joined by his bodyguard Da Immortalz (Black Orcs), he's not allowed to ever leave them, meaning you're making a super unit that most enemies are wise to avoid completely lest they get annihilated. A good idea when fielding Grimgor, in my mind, is to bring a lot of artillery and/or magic to force the enemy to come fight you in battle or get shot down.

HEROES:

Grubak Skulzbasha - Black Orc Big Boss = 119 Pts.
- Heavy Armour
- Enchanted Shield
- Martogs Best Basha

I assume Grubak will be leading one of the Orc units, either the boyz or the Big 'Uns. Preventing animosity is always a good idea, but I'm not really keen on doing that for Big 'Uns. Part of the reason why you run elite units is because they shouldn't need a character in order to do well. I'd put those 119 pts into beefing up the Big 'Uns unit instead and live with the odd Squabble.

Slagger da Bannawava - Black Orc Big Boss = 139 Pts.
- Heavy Armour
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Nogg's Banner of Butchery

The BSB has become so much more important in the new edition, that you definitely need to protect him better. I don't think he should ever carry a magic banner any more. Especially not one that could be just as easily carried by either the Big 'Uns or the Black Orcs, as is the case with the Banner of Butchery. Instead he should be wearing a magical armor, such as the Armor of Faith (Heavy Armor, +4 ward save) to keep him waving that flag of his for as long as he possibly can.

Oggrit Snazbang Level 2 Orc Shaman = 150 Pts.
- Nibbla's 'Itty Ring
- Dispel Scroll

Iggybum Snotfinga, Level 2 Night Goblin Shaman = 135 Pts.
- Staff of Sneaky Stealin

These are good choices for magic defense and some light/medium offensive casting. I'd normally go with four spells from one of the lores rather than two from each, as that usually ensures I'll get the ones I'm hoping for. Also, at 3000 points, you should really consider running a Great Shaman instead and give him the Staff of Baduum for a total of +5 to cast spells for about the same point total and just about the same magic defense.

Next up, core choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment