Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Saturday, February 19, 2011

1500 pts O&G Troll Country Wyvern Waaagh!

I'll be going down to the gaming club this afternoon to get a few games in. Not entirely sure what I'll be facing, but I do know that I want to try out a Warboss on Wyvern even though it will only be a 1500 point game. The theme for this army is going to be a Troll Country Waaagh, mainly consisting of Orcs, Trolls and some Night Goblins, led by a big lizard. Here is the list I'll be playing:

Orc Warboss on Wyvern
Charmed Shield, Sword of Strife, Amulet of Preservation, Potion of Speed
The shield should keep him safe against a single big attack, such as a cannonball, and with the Sword of Strife he'll be dishing out six S6 attacks, with a 4+ ward save and a potion for extra initiative. I sort of would like to use The Other Trickster's Shard to ruin enemy ward saves, and also the Dragonhelm/gem in order to get him flying into units with Flaming Attacks to protect the rest of the army, but I'm not sure how...

Black Orc BSB
Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Dragonhelm, Luckstone
A standard setup for my Battle Standard, giving him a 3+ armor save, with a single re-roll and 2+ ward save against flaming attacks, while protecting the boyz somewhat against warmachines.

x2 Night Goblin Shamans
Level 2 upgrade
My initial impression of the new Greenskin magic is that Da Little Waaagh is better for smaller games, while the Orc magic is best saved for larger battles. I'd like a lot of spells and throw only a few dice at each, and the Magic Mushrooms of the Night Gobbos is perfect for this. It adds an additional 'free' power dice to every spell cast, but is devastating if the mushroom dice shows a '1'.

29 Orc Boyz, Da Boyz
Shields, Full Command
With the boyz going up in price, I'm hesitant to buy more than 30, or 35 at the most, for any unit. These guys will be joined by the Black Orc BSB and provide a solid anvil for the army.

40 Night Goblins, Da Stikkaz
Standard Bearer, Musician
A cheap horde unit, maxed out in gobbo bodies, to either pin nasty units in place for a few rounds, or Horde up in 10x4 in case I go up against core troops or get off the Gift of the Spider God spell, granting them Poisoned Attacks.

20 Night Goblins, Da Plinkaz
Shortbows, Musician
Mostly a throw-away unit capable of taking out light units that want to serve as speedbumps. This will probably be the primary benefitter of the Gift of the Spider God spell early on, as ranked up 10x2 these guy can be shooting 20 poisoned shots with a range of 22" (if they move forward before shooting). The shamans will probably lurk around in this unit or the larger stikkaz above. 

x2 Orc Boar Chariots
Extra Orc Crew
Two support chargers that can really turn a battle in my favour. I would really like to switch out one of these chariots for a small unit of Boar Boyz for the same points, but I haven't got the models yet so this will have to do.

6 Trolls
The main fighting unit and the second centerpiece of my Troll Country Waaagh! Trolls probably got the biggest buff of all units in the new book, and I'm eager to try them out. With the Wyvern Boss flying around, his Inspiring Presence will reach 18" which should be great for the Trolls and the Night Gobbos. If the Warboss is shot down by cannons, things will get messy indeed.