Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2600 pts O&G Fast, Wyvern & Boar Boyz combo

I've been playing around with the idea of creating a very fast and hard-hitting army, with enough infantry backing it up to create an interesting synergy. The idea is to outdeploy my opponents and then stack one flank with a hard-hitting one-two punch that won't give up too many wounds (by Greenskin standards) while dishing out enough pain to clear a flank before the start of round 3. Meanwhile, the slow moving footsloggers will make their way across the field to backup my hard-hitters against the heart of the enemy army, allowing me to attack them from two sides.

Orc Warboss
Wyvern, Sword of Striking, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Potion of Strength

Orc Great Shaman, level 4
War Boar, Shrieking Blade, Sceptre of Stability, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon

Orc Big Boss, BSB
War Boar, Armor of Destiny, Spear, Shield

Night Goblin Shaman, level 2
Dispel Scroll, Dragonbane Gem

Plenty of mounted characters in this army, which is a little bit unconventional for Greenskin armies. The BSB and the Great Shaman will both go in the big unit of Orc Boar Boyz,  partly because that side of the army will move fast, and I want to get as many Orc units within range of the 'Ere We Go spell and the BSB as possible. Also, by putting two T5, 4+ WS characters in the front rank next to a Champion, that leaves very few chances of striking at my Boar Boyz rank and file models, which should help maintain their rank bonus for a longer time.



30 Orc Big 'Uns
Standard Bearer, Musician, Spears, Shields, Gleaming Pendant

49 Night Goblins
Nets, Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields

20 Night Goblins
Musician, Short bows

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Shields, Shortbows, Spears

The Core mostly just make up the Anvil units that will match up and take on the largest enemy units out there. The Orcs and the Gobbos fill two very different uses here: Anything hard-hitting and elite will have less ranks than the Night Goblins, meaning they will keep them occupied for a few rounds, while anything that has similar or more ranks than the Orc Big Uns will not be able to beat them in close combat, meaning they too will be occupied. With my General on a Wyvern, I won't worry about the units being left behind without the Inspiring Presence, as 18" will cover up most of the central battlefield.



13 Orc Boar Boyz
Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

8 Trolls

2 Orc Boar Chariots

1x3 Goblin Wolf Chariots

Five chariots is a lot to deal with for most armies, and these will all go in the middle of the battlefield in most situations and will be deployed early. If my opponent has brought a Deathstar that I'd like to either fight or redirect, five chariots are capable of both redirecting or devastating the unit. Therefore, the Trolls will also deploy in the center but behind all the chariots, to provide a hard-hitting tanking unit to face what remains of the Deathstar in the front, while still moving fast enough to keep up with my fast flank. Finally, the Orc Boar Boyz will be deployed as my last unit before characters, and by then I will most likely have outdeployed many of my opponents or at least have a solid understanding of where they will be placing their units. That means that I will stack one flank heavily with both the Boar Boyz, the mounted characters and my Wyvern and put pressure on early. Both units are fast enough to charge by round 2, with enough power and ranks to (hopefully) defeat a  medium enemy unit on the charge. They are then free to reform into the flank of the enemy who should be busy dealing with the five chariots and my Trolls. The plan from there is then to roll up the flank, unit by unit, until I get to the side where my Orc Big 'Uns and Night Goblins are hopefully holding up what remains of the enemy army.



Snotling Pump Wagon
Outrigga, Spiky Roller

Goblin Rock Lobber

Goblin Doom Diver

With no Black Orcs, Monsters are a bit of a concern, which is why I've brought a Rock Lobber to hopefully deal with them. The Pump Wagon is there to chase down enemy chaff units, either by going on the same flank as my Boar Boyz (if I feel the enemy will try to redirect them early) or assisting the Chariots and the Trolls. The Doom Diver will do a bit of both, as always.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions? Let me know in the comments.