Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Sunday, July 3, 2011

2500 pts O&G from this weekend

I was down at the gaming club this weekend and managed to get in two good games. I've moved away from using the Wyvern now, having had my fill of Thunderstomps for the time being, which has freed up some points and strategies for other mobs of units. Here is the list I brought to the battles. Reports will follow later.

Black Orc Warboss
Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Trickster's Helm
Instead of a Wyvern Warboss, I'd like to give a footslogging Warboss a spin. Armed to da Teef means he'll either dish out 4 S8 attacks or 5 S6 attacks, so I didn't feel a need to give him a magic weapon. Instead, I've made sure he is as well protected as he possibly can, with a 4+ ward save and forcing all attacks that wound him to be re-rolled.

Savage Orc Great Shaman
Level 4, Shrunken Heads, Potion of Speed
The usual arcane item to help out his Savage Orc mob, along with a Potion of Speed for the times where I might have to go up against monsters and need to kill it before they do me.

Night Goblin Big Boss
Battle Standard Bearer, Shield, Light Armor
A cheap, unprotected BSB to afford the rest of my army. He will stay in the back, behind my lines and shouldn't see combat while still allowing me to re-roll my leadership tests.

Night Goblin Shaman
Level 2, Dispel Scroll

Night Goblin Shaman 
Level 2, Channeling Staff
Plenty of magic in this army, with two Night Gobbos backing up the Great Shaman. With their magic mushrooms, I shouldn't have to spend more than 1-2 dice from my power pool for each spell, still leaving plenty of dice for my Orc spells. 

Goblin Big Boss
Giant Wolf, Potion of Foolhardiness, Dragonbane Amulet
Early on, the Boss will provide some added leadership to my vanguarding Wolf Riders. After that, he will ride out on his own to hunt soft enemies or redirect nasty ones.

28 Savage Orc Boyz
Additional Handweapons, Full Command
No Big 'Un upgrade for these, although I know this would make them extremely 'ard. I still think they can be tough enough in battle, with their 5+ ward save and 3 S4 attacks from each orc. 

24 Orc Big 'Uns
Spears, Full Command, Banner of Discipline
Instead, I'd like to give the Big 'Un upgrade to these fellows, my regular Orc mob equipped with spears. Most likely the place where my Warboss will go, these will anchor the line defensively, not really doing as much charging as their more Savage cousins. Their magic banner will boost my Inspiring Presence to leadership 10.

20 Night Goblins
Shortbows, Full Command, 3 Fanatics
My Night Gobbos deathstar! No, seriously, these will go in the back and be joined by all my Night Gobbo characters. The BSB tucked away safely in the back, both my Gobbo Shamans there to cast some cantrips to help out the big boyz. If something nasty would come close to them, I have plenty of fanatics to keep them at bay.

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Shortbows, Musician
Always bring at least one unit of Fast Cavalry. They do wonders, always!

3 Goblin Wolf Chariots
Combined with the Mangler Squig, the most destructive force in my army on the charge. If something nasty comes within reasonable charge range (18" or so) these guys go in.

21 Black Orcs
Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
My third Orc unit to maximize the effectiveness of the Big Waaagh! spells, flanking the Savages and the Big 'Uns, the Black Orcs will hunt monsters with regeneration and other high toughness units.

40 Squig Herd
30 Squigs, 10 Herders
A Horde unit of mushrooms with big pointy teeth, what else could you ask for? Dishing out 40 S5 attacks (without great weapons) if maximized against a foe, yet coming in at under 300 points, I'd pit these guys up against just about anything. Will probably go slightly on a flank, since I'd like all my Orc units in one place, but should still find something squishy to chew up and spit out.

Goblin Rock Lobber

Goblin Doom Diver
Two war machines to soften up nasty things before I beat them up in combat. Always good against flying monsters and other scary stuff.

Mangler Squig
And if the artillery won't shoot it down, just send a Mangler Squig into it! One is golden, two of them is overkill.