Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Sunday, April 3, 2011

2500 pts O&G #2 for Fantasia Fanatic 2011

Five trial games with my earlier list and I've come up with a few changes I'll be trying out in the next week or so. The local gaming club will be hosting a league, where each one of us will be playing at least one game per week until the big tournament in May. That is indeed good news as that means the place will be brimming with activity, giving me plenty of opportunity to try my adapted army list out.

Only the changes are commented upon:

Orc Warboss on Wyvern
Charmed Shield, Amulet of Preservation, Sword of Striking, The Other Trickster's Shard

Savage Orc Great Shaman, level 4
Lucky Shrunken Heads, Talisman of MR(1)
Instead of his cheap magic weapon, I've given him a talisman that gives his unit +1 to their wardsave against magic damage (so with the Shrunken Heads that's 4+). It's mostly for when I go up against Death Magic, so that my Shaman and the BSB can join the Savages and feel fairly safe against magical life drains.

Black Orc Big Boss
Battle Standard Bearer, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Talisman of Endurance

Night Goblin Shaman level 1
Dispel Scroll

Night Goblin Big Boss
Great Weapon, Dragonbane Gem

28 Savage Orc Big 'Uns
Full Command, Additional handweapons


40 Night Goblins
Full Command, Shields, Nets, 1 Fanatic

10 Arrer Boyz
Instead of my unit of 20 Bowgobbos, I'm going to try out a smaller unit of Arrer Boyz for the same price. What's good about them is that they can shoot on the first turn, meaning by turn 2 they will have shot the same amount of arrows as the gobbos would have. Not to mention that they're better in a fight than the gobbos, and can add an additional +1 to combat resolution if they charge into the fray when the Warboss calls for the Waaagh. On the downside, they can't carry fanatics so I had to give that one to the shieldgobbos.

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Short bows

3 Goblin Wolf Chariots

5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz / 5 Orc Boar Boyz 
Spears and Shields (if regular boyz)

I'm still torn on whether or not I'm better off with an extra S5 attacks from the frenzy, or the 3+ armor save. While the Savages can provide more damage if flank charging an enemy fighting my infantry, the Boyz are much better at charging into smaller missile units that my fast cavalry can't touch. I shall have to try both out and see what I prefer. 

Boar Chariot
Additional Orc Crew
In order to afford my boar boyz, I had to ditch one of the chariots. So far I have to admit there's never been a battle where I've found the 5th chariot to be that essential, as one is usually enough for when I want to combo charge something, and I've got my wolf chariots as well. We shall see if I feel the boar boyz are points better spent.

21 Black Orcs
Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame, Shields

6 Trolls
I've heard some opinions that trolls aren't worth getting, since flaming attacks are so much more common. For my army though, they're essential, especially if I go up against cannons. I've been able to hide my Wyvern behind the brutes for several rounds, where the enemy is either forced to overshoot or usually have the cannon ball land amongst the trolls first, giving me several chances to regenerate (and therefore stop the cannon ball) before it reaches my Warboss behind them.

Mangler Squig